Saturday, December 8, 2007

Some Poems!

THE MASTER SPEED
Robert Frost

No speed of wind or water rushing by
But you have speed far greater. You can climb
Back up a stream of radiance to the sky,
And back through history up the steam of time.
And you were given this swiftness, not for haste,
Nor chiefly that you may go where you will,
But in the rush of everything to waste,
That you may have the power of standing still-
Off any still or moving thing you say.
Two such as you with such a master speed
Cannot be parted nor be swept away
From one another once you are agreed
That life is only life forevermore
Together wing to wing and oar to oar.

^Favorite poem EVER


Devotion by Robert Frost

The heart can think of no devotion
Greater than being shore to ocean -
Holding the curve of one position,
Counting an endless repetition.



Acquainted with the Night by Robert Frost

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
A luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

2 comments:

LCC said...

It comes as no surprise to me that, when I asked all my students to think about their favorite poems, the first two to post said poems to their blogs were Deepa and the Z. Perhaps the poetry club isn't as moribund as we thought; perhaps Bullwinkle's Corner is in its own way a means to keep at least the spirit of the club alive.

I'd never heard The Master Speed before. Will you read it to the class, please?

Deepa Rao said...

haha *high five* the spirit of Poetry Club lives on!

Viva la Stanza! (I had to, sorry Big Al :P)

I really like the Master Speed. I need to figure out which poems I want to read to the class. It's so hard to choose. I wish I could just read the Alchemist--that novel is 100% inspiration.

Remind me to show you my Neptune haikus, I got sidetracked when writing my planet paper :P I'm sure Swingley will get a kick out of them.

woo hoo! Long comment
See ya tomorrow :)