Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Greeks: Always Letting You Know that Your Life Could Be Worse

As though Sophocles wanted to give us hints about the end of the play, he uses blindness as a constant theme throughout. But blindness and its connotations serve a much greater purpose in the story that just foreshadowing. Blindness, Sophocles shows us, is actually the flaw that brings Oedipus to his end, what we may call his tragic flaw.

One of the largest representations of blindness in the play is Oedipus’s blindness to his actions and true identity. The scene with Teiresias is particularly ironic because even though Teiresias is blind, it is Oedipus that cannot see the truth of his own life. Teiresias insists that Oedipus is better off not knowing the truth about who killed Laius. But Oedipus is “blind” to what the seer is implying and flies into a rage at the man for refusing to disclose what he knows. He even goes so far as to accuse Teiresias himself of plotting the murder. Even when Teiresias flat out tells him the truth, Oedipus still refuses to believe it. He instead turns his anger toward Creon, who initially suggested sending for the seer. He enters into a “blind” rage, throwing accusations and harsh words at everyone to try to deny what he has done. This blindness to his past, his predicament, and his rage eventually manifests itself in his actual blindness. But as is custom in tragedies, Oedipus does morally redeem himself. By blinding himself, he gives himself a symbolic punishment for being ignorant and denying his identity.

Another way that Sophocles hints at Oedipus's fate is through talking about seeing and sight constantly throughout the play. For example, when Teiresias accuses Oedipus of being ignorant of his past, he says that Oedipus "see'st not in what misery" he will fall. While this is extremely slight in meaning, Sophocles could have just as easily written that Oedipus did not understand or know of his past, but he instead uses the imagery of sight to describe it. Even as Teiresias is introduced, the chorus says, “if any man sees eye to eye/With our lord Phoebus, 'tis our prophet.” Oedipus, too, foreshadows his own doom. When he is talking to Jocasta about his fears, he asks the gods to “Forbid, forbid that I should see that day!” Oh the irony. Even looking into Oedipus’s background, we would almost expect his fate. Oedipus is extremely regarded for his clear sight, or insight, but because he is so ignorant to his past, it undermines this reputation. In a way, his physical blindness just symbolizes the full death of his sight in the non-physical sense. For those who are paying special attention to the language of this story, Oedipus’s fate is not entirely surprising; we knew he rambled on about sight and seeing and blindness for some reason.

In a large sense, Oedipus’s fate in the play is fairly predictable. His behavior seems to be strongly associated with the concept of blindness; he is blinded by rage and essentially blind to his true identity. The story also hints at the ending by following the theme of sight and blindness in the language and background of the story. Even if you hadn’t read the mythology that accompanies this play, the characterizations, language, and background of the story all help the reader to predict Oedipus’s tragic fate. (555)

16 comments:

Jane Austen said...

Dear Missus Zadel,

I am genuinely offended at your lack of respect for what I consider to be the most glorious, colorful, and fragrant form of art. I refer to the novel, which you seem to believe is synonymous with the act of jumping about on stage as though an ape on a colonial isle.

Best Regards,
Jane Austen

(59)

Deepa Rao said...

Oh snap! You've been Janed...

I wish I were an Ancient Greek...or a Renaissance Man. When will I ever be reincarnated into something good!?!
The 21st century pales in comparison. I mean yeah, we have the internet, but antiquity had all the good stuff--naked Olympics, art (that makes sense), AND clean air.
Random comment, I know.

Btw, I miss having you in class. Who’s coke bottle am I going to steal? And who am I going to make sly comments to? It’s just not the same *le sigh*

Jane Austen said...

A Renaissance MAN, Dr. Rao?

In Most Great Distress,
Jane Austen
(11)

Deepa Rao said...

haha, yes MS. Jane--a Renaissance Man. For at that time, women didn't have equal rights.

However if there is a Renaissance 2.0 sometime in the future, I would prefer to be a Renaissance Woman
;)

Sam Debold said...

Wow I really like that you took a theme and made it an understandable tragic flaw. It makes sence, but it is something I had never actually concidered. I like the combination, it makes the reader think!

Michele Barnhill said...

Alex, I really liked how you tied blindness into being Oedipus's tragic flaw. Also, good job on all the evidence that you found to support it. I particularly liked the part where you said talked about the irony in the scene between Teiresias and Oedipus-that although Teiresias is the blind one, it is Oedipus that has the trouble of 'seeing'. Great Job!! Michele

Navdeep Khera said...

Alex Zadel-

Insightful blog into some of the major flaws in Oedipus's character. You were able to back up your idea with many solid verses from the play. Your blog got me thinking a bit and maybe one of the reasons Apollo decided to punish Oedipus was because he did not "look" back to his past mistakes and ask for repentance, instead choosing to ignore them. It is only fitting that Oedipus loses his eyesight after not being able to see even when he had them.

Navdeep Khera

The Big Dirty said...

Firstly, I enjoyed your choice of title because it is just so true. In your blog Oedipus's tragic flaw of "blindness" in both the physical and spiritual sense is brought to light in an excellent manner. I also liked the various quotes that contained several meanings of sight in the play.
- J LO

Anonymous said...

Alex-

As always, I am enthralled by your writing style. After reading your opening paragraph I thought, blindness as a tragic flaw? "He is also a jerk and highly hubristic human why not mention those unattractive qualities?" I was convinced by your evidence that his blindness, both literally and figuratively brings about his demise.

GREAT JOB!

-Karen

Nina Warner said...

Alex-
I love your interpretation of the word and theme blindness and how you identified it as his tragic flaw. I never would have thought about Oedipus flying into a "blind" rage and I completely agree with it. You always offer such great insight into the meanings of stories.

Quinn de la Concepcion said...

This is a really good blog. I like how you found all of those examples of blindness on the part of Oedipus. Those were examples that I did not see in the story. Good job!

Lauren Mattioni said...

When I finished reading the play, I thought that Oedipus had no obvious tragic flaw such as hubris or something of that nature. Upon reading your blog entry, the story makes more sense to me. Very clever.

Lauren Motzkin said...

Alex,
Wow man I am proud to be your strongly buddy. I really liked your entry, especially the part where you state that blindness is Oedipus's "tragic flaw." While reading the play, I had a hard time getting my head around the fact that it doesn't really seem like Oedipus did anything wrong to deserve his fate. It's nice to finally have something to blame other than the workings of his destiny.

Honestly Oedipus, get some glasses or something.

Lauren

Aravind Swaminathan said...

Dear Alex Diane Zadel,

Great blog. One of the best out there in my opinion. I love how you have shown us that we can not rule out the possibility of the "tragic flaw". I thought that Oedipus had no such flaw or exhibited hubris, but after your blog I'm not so sure. Great job. Great blog.

Love,

Aravind Swaminathan

Andrew Grady said...

Alex,

Good work this last week on the Oedipus blog. i really apppreciated and enjoyed your interesting and capturing perspective on the author's/play's use of sight--a topic I did not grasp while reading. So thank you for bringing it up and good job.

LCC said...

Z--good blog, good comments from the fan gallery. I liked the way you took the blindness motif into the area of Oedipus' emotions and self-awareness. Good call.